Enriching
Civic Life

The campus master plan consolidates the Snohomish County Government’s 18 offices from around the city onto one interconnected campus that has changed the way residents interact with civic services.

Since 1861, the Snohomish County Government has occupied the same three city blocks in downtown Everett. Faced with an overcrowded jail and expensive leased properties scattered far from its core campus, the county decided to undertake a major revitalization of its original grounds. NBBJ was retained to develop a master plan that would not only add new facilities to consolidate the county’s 1,700 employees but create a new civic space and public amenity for the city.

The plan proposed adding over 650,000 square feet of new facilities, including an expanded detention center, an administrative building, and an underground parking garage. While roughly doubling the total built space on the site, the scheme significantly expands the amount of public space with a 60,000-square-foot plaza, available to both employees and citizens.

Following the master plan, NBBJ was chosen to design the entire campus redevelopment. The public plaza—built atop an underground parking lot—is the campus centerpiece and acts as the “front porch” welcoming visitors and staff. The county courthouse is now connected to the detention center complex by a transportation tunnel, and the new 10-story administrative building brings together employees previously located in different parts of the city.